Do you often feel drained, exhausted, or lacking the energy to complete everyday tasks? It could be you’re not getting enough sleep each night. A good night’s sleep is just as important as getting enough nutrients, water, and food. Without proper sleep, your body may even suffer.
You may not know it, but not receiving enough sleep may make you more susceptible to some serious health problems, including:
- Heart disease – Including heart attacks, heart palpitations, etc.
- High blood pressure – Which can be another contributing factor to the above.
- Diabetes – Lack of sleep can affect your blood sugar levels.
- Stroke – Lack of sleep can affect your oxygen levels.
- Weight gain – Without enough sleep your diet may suffer, causing weight gain.
Not to mention how lack of sleep affects your mood. You may begin to feel:
- Even Depression
Have you begun to experience any of the above? Would you consider yourself “grumpy” much of the time? It may be time to evaluate your sleep patterns. Are you receiving a minimum of 6 hours of sleep a night? Do you frequently wake up during the night? Do you wake up in the morning feeling refreshed or exhausted? Want to learn how to take control of your sleep? Here are 3 tips you can implement today:
- Go to bed earlier. If you’re only sleeping for 4 or 5 hours a night, you may want to consider hitting the hay a couple hours earlier.
- Relax. Drink hot herbal tea, take a warm bath, etc. Need some help winding down at the end of the night? Consider meditation. You might like “Meditation: Easy Relaxation Practices.”
- Shut down for the night. Turn off your PC and TVs before going to bed, and try opting for a book instead. Electronics stimulate your mind and may keep you awake longer than intended.
Once you start getting enough sleep, the benefits are endless!