Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
– Mark Twain –
Think back to the last time someone showed you kindness. How did you feel? Did it put a smile on your face? Did it help you when you were feeling down?
Kindness is a universal action that can quickly turn a bad day into a joyful one. When someone shows you kindness you may find that you’re happier. Best of all, kindness is contagious, and when you show someone kindness you help to encourage them to be kind as well. Plus, it just feels good to help someone.
Want to learn ways you can show kindness to others? Here are 25 things you can incorporate into your daily life to show others kindness:
- Do something nice and expect nothing in return.
- Hold the door open for someone, even if their hands are not full.
- Smile at a complete stranger.
- Pick something up when someone else drops it.
- Give someone a compliment.
- Offer someone your services for free.
- Let someone go ahead of you in line.
- Give your delivery driver a large tip.
- Remember your waiter’s name, and compliment them when they do well.
- Thank a coworker for their help and for doing a great job.
- Tell your friends and family you love them.
- Send someone a card, just because.
- Bring home cooking to someone who is ill or stuck at home.
- Donate or volunteer at a local homeless shelter.
- Rake or mow your neighbor’s yard when you do yours.
- Say “I’m sorry” to someone you have wronged. And mean it.
- Refill an expired parking meter.
- Remember to say “Please” and “Thank you.”
- Make sure you keep your promises.
- Go the day without complaining.
- Listen wholeheartedly when someone speaks.
- Pay the toll for the next 5 cars on the highway.
- Give your assistant or secretary coffee.
- Ask someone what they need, and help them.
- Give a stranger flowers.
You could also pay for the meal for the person behind you at the drive thru, such as in this video: